Jul 21, 2013

Knoxville

Yesterday was the first presentation of the Building Revolutionary Anarchism tour, and honestly it didn't go great from my end. It's been about 2 years since the last time I did this presentation, and I really came into the conversation feeling like I didn't need any serious preparation. The presentation ended up being a bit scattered, and probably tried to make too many points in one sitting.

There were some good folks there though. It was scheduled for midday on Saturday at a space called The Birdhouse. This space seemed like a sort of eclectic little spot. There was a art and music show being prepared in the background while the presentation took place. There were 8 people there, and a couple that didn't have much of a base-line understanding of anarchism. So, there was some need to do a brief introduction to anarchism. I gave the introduction, but it was probably a little too brief, as there was a lot of ground to cover with the more in-depth organizational conversations.

Many of the people in the room seemed to identify anti-mountain top removal activism as the major form of organizing happening in the Knoxville area. So many of the people there had an affinity for a sort of "green anarchism", which I always have a hard time with. Sometimes this term is used to identify as anarchists who focus their organizing efforts in the environmental movements and other times it means an affinity for anarcho-primitivism.  It seemed to mean a little of both in Knoxville.

It also seemed as though the term anarchism wasn't very frequently used in Knoxville. The smaller group had a some what mixed batch of anarchist ideas among them and they seemed fairly disconnected from the nationwide anarchist discussions. Although there were a few people that certainly seemed interested in keeping up with the formation of a nationwide organization and that may be interested in developing a local group.

On arrival I didn't actually know who exactly was my personal contact when I came into town, and didn't even know if I'd have a place to stay for the night. But, the people that came to the event were very hospitable. After asking the group if anyone could put me up, one couple immediately offered a place at their house and then showed me a fun night on the town too. Through one of them, I was also able to meet a local activist with Jobs with Justice and union postal worker.

I was glad to find a connection to local economic justice work, as Knoxville was pretty apparently poor and segregated. I don't want to diminish the importance of anti-mountaintop removal work, but just to highlight that it was pretty noticeable that I didn't make much connection with anti-poverty or union organizers while in Knoxville.

1 comment:

Syndicalist said...

The Workers Solidarity Alliance (WSA) used to have a largish, gender balanced local in Knoxville in the early 1990s. WSA held one of the best conferences we ever had there as well.

The local WSAers even captured the attention of the local KKK. They even issued a "Beware" leaflet as well.

I don't think any of the former WSA comrades remained active these many years since.

Why Am I Writing?

After an inspiring year following the social and political movements of Argentina, I returned to my hometown of Buffalo, NY intent on beginning the process of actively building local movements with the lessons I had learned in Argentina.

One of those lessons was the importance of participants in our movements telling their own stories and actively analyzing their organizations. That's exactly what I plan to do here, and I hope that some people find it relevant and interesting.