Aug 14, 2013

Portland

The stop in Portland was a huge success. Around 80 people were packed into the Red and Black Cafe for this talk. I feel like the presentation was stronger than it had been in other stops, and was received in great ways with a pretty large grouping of people interested in joining a nationwide anarchist organization and building a local group based on especifist thought.

It's not shocking how strong this event was. The Red and Black Cafe is a space that has a long history of great talks like this and serves as an important resource for Portland's anarchist community. The Institute for Anarchist Studies co-sponsored the event and had their board coming into town for a meeting in the next few days. Two former members of Rochester Red and Black live in Portland now and helped to do the on-the-ground organizing for this event. And there were three spots on KBOO local community radio helping to pump the event - one by me, one by another member of Rochester Red and Black, and another with Jeff Shantz about anarchist organizing. The strength of the local IWW was apparent with lots of their membership in the room and participating in the conversation. There was at least one former member of the past northwest regional anarchist federation, Common Action.

The conversation here seemed to focus very much on how the process of social insertion into broader movements can help to strengthen anarchist ideals and organizing skill. The notion of building depth of connection in communities was something that I raised a handful of times and that was echoed by others in the room.

I left Portland really excited for the remainder of the talk and the possibilities that the tour has for helping us to build a stronger nationwide anarchist organization in the US.

14 comments:

teen life said...

Will there be videos from any of these.

TakePossession said...

I don't think so. None have been filmed so far. Although there will be a full audio recording of the one in Austin up in the next few days.

teen life said...

Where can I find the audio for this. This topic fascinates me.

teen life said...

When will the Austin talk be up this topic is cool.

TakePossession said...

Hey there, I've just updated the Austin talk with a link to the audio. You can also go here: https://archive.org/details/PeopleUnited2013Jun28

teen life said...

Sorry for bothering u. Also thanks

teen life said...

That's the queer theory talk not yours

TakePossession said...

Good call! https://archive.org/details/PeopleUnited2013Aug02

TakePossession said...

Good call! https://archive.org/details/PeopleUnited2013Aug02

teen life said...

How would I get involved in that bat group

teen life said...

I meant how can I get involved in that federation you mentioned.

TakePossession said...

Hey sorry for the long delay. If you send me your email to takepossession@gmail.com I can send you the information that we currently have together on the nationwide federation.

TakePossession said...

Hey sorry for the long delay. If you send me your email to takepossession@gmail.com I can send you the information that we currently have together on the nationwide federation.

teen life said...

My email is ihartmn19@gmail.com

Why Am I Writing?

After an inspiring year following the social and political movements of Argentina, I returned to my hometown of Buffalo, NY intent on beginning the process of actively building local movements with the lessons I had learned in Argentina.

One of those lessons was the importance of participants in our movements telling their own stories and actively analyzing their organizations. That's exactly what I plan to do here, and I hope that some people find it relevant and interesting.