Aug 18, 2013

Salt Lake City

Being in Salt Lake City was surreal. I grew up here for much of my childhood. The city has developed a ton since last I was there. There is now an above-ground light rail line running down one of the streets I used to live on. The neighborhood I grew up in has turned into a sort of hip neighborhood rather than the fairly sketchy place it was when I was there.

This talk was at the public library (which was a beautiful space!). It was put on by a new, platformist-influence group calling themselves the Wasatch Anarchist Organization. The talk was pretty small. As it turned out many people that would have otherwise been there were downstate involved in an anti-tar sands pipeline action.

Small conversations though, allow for such a more participatory presentation. Being able to really engage in conversation with people rather than just present was a great switch. The folks there seemed really solid, and I hope that we'll stay connected through the process of creating our national organization.

I didn't get as much of a chance to connect with the organizers of this talk though, as I spent much of the time there exploring neighborhoods that I remembered as a child.

No comments:

Why Am I Writing?

After an inspiring year following the social and political movements of Argentina, I returned to my hometown of Buffalo, NY intent on beginning the process of actively building local movements with the lessons I had learned in Argentina.

One of those lessons was the importance of participants in our movements telling their own stories and actively analyzing their organizations. That's exactly what I plan to do here, and I hope that some people find it relevant and interesting.